The Rescue Story of MacIntosh

It all started with a typical posting of a dog in need from a shelter in the south. In this case it was Fulton County, Georgia. A very sad picture of a dog in a high kill shelter with a truly sad and forlorn look that most always comes with the listing and begging of help.  He is a black and white mixed breed dog with a slight Pekingese look to him in a tangle of electrical wires in a dingy looking room.

I started looking for help to get this little guy pulled from the shelter and a local foster to keep him until we could transport him to Maine. I networked with another rescue partner whom I had worked with before and a plan was made after several discussions to get him pulled out of the shelter after he was neutered and then transported to a temporary foster until he would get his next ride to Maine.

The day came when his transporter/foster drove 8 hours to pick him up in Georgia and drive him back to her home. The pick-up went smoothly but the staff had a hard time getting a harness and collar on him.  He was put in a cage and staff helped take him out to the transporter’s car. There was a picture sent along the way. Several hours later I got a frantic call from the transporter saying he had escaped from her yard. Common sense safety measures were not implemented, and the result was that MacIntosh had escaped and would remain missing for 5 days.

A flurry of frantic phone calls begging for help to aid in his search and many postings in groups with Lost flyers ensued. It was extremely excruciating waiting and wondering. No sightings were made until the 5th day. When the transporter called me to say that he had been spotted a mile down the road and across a 4-lane highway at of all places a Pfizer plant.  A man who ordinarily would not have been there, was working there for a week as a contract worker. He had spotted him and called the number on the flyer and he and the transporter went down there to capture him. The transporter was not allowed on the property of the Pfizer plant as it was private property. Twenty minutes after the first call was the second saying he had been captured. The description of the capture was a very difficult one to say the least. It ended up with MacIntosh being caught by a blanket being thrown over him while he jumped in a stream.

He was taken to the transporters home and settled in for the night. As the night wore on, he became sick and the next day I had him taken to a local veterinarian.  We didn’t know what was wrong with him so the plan was to board him there at the veterinarian until they could figure it out and treat him. As the first day wore on MacIntosh was getting care he needed. The second day was different as he started to become paralyzed. X Rays were taken, and everything that needed to be done was done. The conclusion was that he either had gotten injured in the capture or had gotten hit by a car when he was lost for 5 days. Day 3 wasn’t much better, besides becoming paralyzed MacIntosh had developed a bad respiratory infection. This poor boy couldn’t catch a break.  Every treatment that he needed was given and he showed the staff at the clinic he had a will to survive. After staying at the clinic for 6 days he was stable enough to be released. I had previously contacted a wonderful gal who had fostered for me before and she agreed to go get him and foster him until he was well enough to be transported to Maine.


It was about 5 weeks at his foster that he was well enough to travel. During his time with her he received laser treatment and steroids. Small improvements were seen but not much hope for him to walk again. After many setbacks in finding transportation, we found a way for him to come to Maine.  Even that didn’t go smoothly but we did get him.


He came to our home and settled in.  I was really eagerly pleased that he was making more improvements every day. He had a spunk and determination to get around even if he had to slide. But then came the days where he could stand up briefly and those times got better and better.

He still needed help and had a long way to go and still does. I got appointments at a local animal rehabilitation veterinary center so we could get him to where he should be.
The staff fell in love with him and he had won over everyone there. Underwater treadmill therapy is how we start our sessions followed by massage and then laser therapy and when all his sessions are done, we will do some acupuncture. Each session brings new gains and joy with each of them.

His personality is coming out and we have seen a playful side of him that we would never have guessed he had. His favorite pastime is playing with Lammy and letting you know he wants your attention.


All the links in the chain of rescue lined up to save this boy. Generous people who donated to his care, foster who freely gave her love and care, people who transported him and others who prayed for him.  He has a ways to go but he has so many people rooting for him and a rescue who believed in him.